03/06/2015

Woman Jailed For Historic Sex Abuse

A 71-year-old woman has been jailed for historic sex abuse crimes against two girls.

Barbara King, from Bootle, was sentenced to 12 years at Liverpool Crown Court on 1 June.

King and her husband Tommy, who died in 1992, committed multiple offences against the girls in the 1970's and 1980's.

Police arrested King last year after one of the victims, now in her 40s, came forward to police.

The second victim, now in her 50s, contacted police a month after King's arrest.

Both woman were aged seven and 12 at the time of the offences.

Police said they did not know each other but reported being sexually abused by the couple.

In victim statements read out in court, they both spoke about the "damaging effect" of the abuse.

One said she thought it was "normal" at the time.

"It was only when I got older I realised the full extent of what they had done to me.

"I am so glad I had the courage and support to come forward and report the abuse and that I was believed."

The second victim said she began to self-harm as a result of the abuse, stating the couple had "ruined her life" from an early age.

Case Officer Detective Constable Trish Lacey said: "The victims have shown immense courage in coming forward to tell their story and help the police and CPS bring a manipulative and coercive sexual offender to justice."

"It was only years later that they were able to comprehend the crimes that had been committed against them and the damaging effect these terrible experiences had had on them."

(LM)

Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

29 April 2013
New Allegations In Wales Child Abuse Inquiry
An independent investigation examining claims of historical child abuse at children's homes in north Wales has been published. The report is reported to have found "significant evidence of systemic and serious sexual and physical abuse", according to the BBC.
16 June 2015
65-Year-Old Jailed For Sex Offences
A 65-year-old man has been jailed for 21-years for the sexual abuse of four victims between 1976 and 1988. Malcolm Cohen, from Aldershot, was sentenced at Exeter Crown Court following a trial at Taunton Crown Court. In addition to the jail term, Cohen was also ordered to sign the Sex Offenders' Register for life.
27 March 2014
Police Fail Domestic Abuse Victims
The overall police response to victims of domestic abuse is not good enough and police forces need to take decisive action to rectify this, a report published today by HM Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC) finds. It follows an inspection of all 43 police forces in England and Wales.
06 August 2015
68-Year-Old Jailed For Historical Sexual Abuse
A 68-year-old man has been jailed for 15 years having pleaded guilty to six counts of rape and four counts of indecent assault. Edward Watson, formerly of Kippington Road, Sevenoaks, appeared before Maidstone Crown Court on Tuesday 04 August, charged with the rape and abuse of a teenage girl on multiple occasions in the 1980s.
27 October 2015
70-Year-Old Jailed For Abusing Boys Over Forty Years
A 70-year-old man has been found guilty of a number of sexual offences against young boys over a period of 40 years. Neil McKenna of Barnett's Close, Tunbridge Wells was arrested in November 2013 after police carried out a warrant to search his home address.