13/05/2008

Omagh Bomb Trial Sits In Dublin

Ireland has seen yet another 'first' today as a British judge rules in an Irish courtroom.

The landmark civil action claim over the Omagh bombing takes another groundbreaking step.

In a further twist in the unprecedented case, Mr Justice Declan Morgan - who has presided over the case at Belfast Crown Court - will sit in Dublin to hear submissions from the defendant's barristers.

For the first time, the Irish District Court will be transformed into a British court setting for the short hearing.

The action is also the first time a case has been taken against alleged terrorists through the courts and the first time evidence has been heard in a court in the Republic of Ireland for a case in the North.

Mr Justice Morgan must rule on whether senior counsel will be allowed to object to evidence from Gardaí is deemed inadmissible.

Legal argument yesterday delayed the start of the lawsuit when barristers for men alleged to be responsible for the atrocity claimed the names of their clients could be tarnished if they were not permitted to question evidence as it is given.

The action has been taken against Michael McKevitt, the alleged leader of the Real IRA, the man said to be his number two, Liam Campbell, and Colm Murphy, Seamus McKenna and Seamus Daly. All deny any involvement.

Michael O'Higgins, for McKevitt, argued that if a question asked was clearly inadmissible, and an answer given damaging to his client, that answer was likely to be published the length and breadth of the country.

Dermot Fee QC, for Daly and Murphy, said the questions had been devised by the plaintiffs - and there was a very clear risk of substantial unfairness to the defendants.

District Judge Conal Gibbons said his role was to take the evidence, and previously told the parties that the inadmissibility of evidence would have to be raised in the North.

He later ruled that because of the short time frame between the court in the North requesting the use of the court in the Republic of Ireland and him trying to implement the process there may be difficulties with certain issues between the parties.

He granted Mr Justice Declan Morgan permission to hold his trial court in the Republic of Ireland courtroom and hear submissions on the issue of inadmissible evidence.

(BMcC)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

12 January 2016
Woman Charged With Attempted Murder After Man Stabbed In Co Down
A 36-year-old woman has been charged with attempted murder after a man was stabbed in Co Down. The 54-year-old victim was stabbed in the Manor Court area in Moira on Monday. He is currently in a serious but stable condition in hospital. The woman is to appear at Craigavon Magistrates Court on Wednesday.
21 January 2010
Child 'Snow Walk' Trial Ends
It will be next month before the outcome of a bizarre case of alleged child cruelty in Co Tyrone is known. Both defendants are due in court for the judgment hearing in February after the case against them ended this week.
31 October 2008
'Leprechaun' Jibe Case Dropped
A Liverpool teenager who allegedly called her pregnant Northern Ireland-born neighbour a leprechaun, and swore at her, has had the case dropped. Andeliza Tucker was accused of insulting Belfast-born Helen Vince in June during a long-running feud.
31 August 2005
Two court service officials face probe over trip
Two senior court officials have been suspended pending an probe into a holiday in Copenhagen with the head of a private security firm. In a statement the Northern Ireland Court Service confirmed that police had been called in to investigate the matter and that an independent investigation would examine the circumstances surrounding the trip.
31 May 2019
Omagh Man Jailed For Historic Sex Offences
Police have welcomed the recent sentencing of a man who was found guilty of 22 historic sex offences. A judge at Dungannon Crown Court handed the 53-year-old from Omagh a sentence of five years imprisonment and a further two years on probation on Tuesday 28 May.